After a big session in the gym, you need to try James Collins' recipe for pork ramen, Tokyo style. The ramen itself consists of a pork broth, which is high in protein for muscle build and repair, while the Asian infusion of herbs and spices give a big hit of vitamins C and K – important for both your immune system and bone health. It’s also full of low-GI carbs, too, meaning the dish is a great source of slow-release energy.
For the pork balls
- ½ red chilli
- 1 clove garlic
- ½cm piece of ginger
- 1 spring onion
- 1small bunch coriander
- 250g lean pork mince
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
For the ramen
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ red chilli
- 1cm piece of ginger
- 2 spring onions
- 4 radish
- 1 bok choi
- 6 shitake mushrooms
- 1 egg
- 60g dried noodles
- 300ml good quality vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp miso
- 2 tsp mirin
- 2 tbsp soy
- 1 sheet nori seaweed
For the spicy pork balls:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºc.
- Finely chop the red chilli, garlic, ginger, spring onion and coriander.
- Place the minced pork into a large bowl along with the chilli, coriander, garlic, spring onion and ginger. Zest the lime and squeeze the juice and add to the pork. Add the soy sauce to the pork and mix well.
- Make into little balls and place into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Cook in the oven for ten to 12 minutes or until cooked through.
For the ramen:
- Finely chop the garlic and chilli. Grate the ginger. Slice the spring onions and finely slice the radish, bok choi and shitake mushrooms.
- Soft boil the egg, once cooked peel and set aside.
- Place the noodles into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave the noodles to soak for ten minutes or until soft. Drain the noodles and run under cold running water.
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, chilli, garlic and ginger. Cook for one minute and then add the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and turn down to a gentle simmer. Add the mushrooms, miso, mirin and soy to the stock and cook for five minutes.
- Add the noodles, bok choi and pork balls to the ramen to heat through.
- Serve the broth into a bowl. Add the spring onions and radish to the broth.
- Add the meatballs, nori, egg (halved) on top of the noodles and serve.
Find more great recipes and nutrition advice in FS magazine's nutrition section