Reto Frei, co-founder of the fantastic tibits restaurant has given FS this quality recipe. Get the lads round and make them some seriously good burgers
Prep and baking time:
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 150g/¾ cup each of black and white quinoa
- 8-9 medium-sized floury potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp neutral-flavoured vegetable oil
- ½ bunch freshly mixed herbs (thyme, parsley, rosemary, sage)
- 3-4 tbsp cornflour
- 1 level tbsp salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground madras curry powder
- 1 level tbsp vegetable stock powder
1. Boil 600 ml (2½ cups) water in a saucepan, then switch off the hob.
2. Add the two types of quinoa, mix well and leave covered to soak for about 20 minutes, then drain the remaining water.
3. In the meantime, peel the potatoes, cut into 1-cm cubes and boil in non-salted water. Drain and allow to cool.
3. Peel the onion, chop finely, fry in the oil and put into a large bowl.
4. Add the cooked quinoa grains and diced potato.
5. Chop the herbs finely and add to the remaining ingredients. Mix well until it is like a dough.
6. Form the mixture into burgers or balls and press flat gently. Put the burgers on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and bake in the preheated oven at 180oC/355oF for 15-20 minutes. Or fry the burgers in oil in a frying pan or deep fat fryer for 5-7 minutes.
7. Remove the excess oil with kitchen paper.