The summer may be a distant memory, but you can still bring the heat with a one-pot dish
The heatwaves of 2016 may be behind us, but there’s no need to put a lid on it in the kitchen. Greg Cornthwaite, head nutritionist and personal trainer at Embody Fitness, has whipped up a taste of the sun with his immune system-boosting chicken and chorizo stir fry.
While the stir fry is rich in protein and fat thanks to the one-two hit of the chicken and chorizo combo, the added benefits from using spices such as chili, cayenne pepper and pepper, as well as the veg, means it packs plenty of vitamins A, K and B6, which are all necessary for maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Start by heating a pan with the teaspoon of coconut oil in it, then cut the chicken into strips or chunks. Add to the pan, and season with a pinch of salt, pepper, chilli and cayenne pepper.
- Core the pepper and cut it into thin strips. Trim the green beans and quarter the lime. Slice the chorizo into chunks and add to the pan once the chicken starts to lightly brown. As soon as it softens, add all the veg, including the broccoli and the rest of the seasoning.
- Once it softens, add the tomato puree and lime juice. Stir until the puree forms a sauce. Cover the pan and cook for a few minutes. After five minutes or so, add the yoghurt and cheese
if desired. Serve hot once the cheese melts.
INGREDIENTS (serves 1)
- 150g/1 chicken breast
- 5 tender stem broccoli sprigs
- 1 red or yellow pepper
- 75g green beans
- ½ thumb chorizo
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Lime juice
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Mixed herbs
And if you’re feeling naughty, add…
- 1 thumb mature cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp full fat Greek yoghurt
Nutritional info per serving